Madeira Airport, also known as Funchal Airport, is located on the Portuguese island of Madeira. It is the gateway to the island and serves both domestic and international flights. The airport is situated 7 km east of the capital, Funchal, and is the only airport in the archipelago of Madeira.
The airport was built in 1964 and was initially served by only a few domestic airlines. In the 1990s, several international airlines began operating flights to Madeira, and the airport underwent a series of renovations and expansions to accommodate the increased traffic.
Madeira Airport is one of the busiest airports in Portugal and is an important gateway for tourists visiting the island. It is also a popular destination for business travelers, offering easy access to the city and the surrounding region.
The Madeira Airport ( FNC code for town of Funchal ) , also called Funchal Airport and is positioned within the municipality of Santa Cruz on the island of Madeira , there may be one other on the island of Porto Santo ( PXO ). It has nice motion vacationer from throughout Europe and likewise essential cargo motion to provide your entire archipelago.
Madeira Airport was inaugurated on July eight, 1964 with a runway 1,600 meters lengthy. The archipelago has thus gained new connections to the Portuguese mainland , since till then the journeys have been made by boat. The primary touchdown of an plane on the island of Madeira in 1957 occurred in an experimental observe in Santa Catarina.
Madeira Internacional Airport image
Madeira Island Internacional Airport
In 1972 , given the lack of the small observe to obtain plane in a position to give vent to the move of vacationers searching for the island of Madeira , started to be thought of an extension to make it potential to acknowledge flights intercontinentais. A undertaking engineer Edgar Cardoso was then introduced and the next yr opened a brand new terminal able to receiving 500,000 passengers per yr.
Between 1982 and 1986 the runway was prolonged to 1800 meters , and we proceeded to increase the parking deck plane . The extension was inaugurated on February 1, 1986 , by the then President of the Republic Normal Ramalho Eanes .
Nevertheless , the engineer António Tavares Segadães tailored research Edgar Cardoso and deliberate a brand new extension to the runway. Thus , the September 15, 2000 occurred the inauguration of the extension of the runway to 2781 meters. That is partially constructed on slab over the ocean , being primarily based on 180 pillars .
These days , as a result of lack of servitude plane, this isn’t certified to obtain Boeing 747 in addition to virtually any kind of civil aviation , the principle gateway for vacationers within the area in addition to postal companies , pressing orders and a few important companies . It is usually a global airport that serves home flights .
Their lanes 5 and 23 are thought of some of the troublesome and harmful approaches and landings on the earth , resulting from excessive turbulence felt when the wind is over 15 knots , often steering 300 and zero20 . Within the method to the runway , winds descending and ascending ( when very near the observe ) and through touchdown is all the time anticipated , per protocol , so with nice turbulence gusts aspect . One other issue for pilots , is the uplift ( upward power ) when the plane flies over the observe , giving a way that the aircraft is “not keen ” land. On account of technical difficulties introduced to pilots , you want a particular license to operations at this airport and solely pilots with expertise in daytime operations might conduct evening operations .
Madeira Internacional Airport
The work of extension of Madeira Airport , held within the first section by the Consortium ” ZED – Society of Development Works from Funchal Airport Extension L.da ” : EMPEC and ZAGOPE ( Portugal ) Dragados (Spain ) Dragage et Travaux Public (France ) and Conrad Zschokke (Switzerland ) Prof. undertaking had . Edgar Cardoso ( Constructions ) and Hidrosevice Brasileira de S. Paulo ( Excavation ) and prolonged the lead initially to 1600 mts 1850 ( 50 in head 06 and 200 in 24 ) within the latter, already partly utilizing expertise ” Beam Launch ” and pillars 60metros tall ( over the ocean ) . All this for causes of worldwide homolugação .
The second section of the work with the whole crossing of the Bay of Ribeira de Pena , a piece is ” Dantesca ” whose technical added worth within the face of opposition deserves additional quantities spent by some many sectors . It’s a work globally acknowledged as some of the troublesome to realize as a result of kind of terrain and topography . In 2004 , Dr. Manabu Ito , President of the Worldwide Affiliation for Bridge and Structural Engineering ( IABSE ) , introduced in Shanghai , China , the premium 2004 IABSE Excellent Construction Award which is just given to giant engineering tasks globally acknowledged . So Segadães Antonio Tavares was the primary Portuguese to win what could be the equal of the ” Nobel ” of Engineering , with the enlargement of the airport of Madeira.
Madeira Internacional Airport
In September 2021, Madeira International Airport is officially named Cristiano Ronaldo Madeira International Airport. It was renamed in honor of the renowned Portuguese footballer Cristiano Ronaldo, who hails from Madeira. The name change was approved in March 2017 to recognize Ronaldo’s contributions to the sport and his global recognition as a football icon. However, please note that airport names can be subject to change, and it’s always a good idea to verify the current name through official sources or updated information.
• Aigle Azur ( Paris)
• Air Berlin ( Berlin – Tegel , Dresden , Düsseldorf , Hamburg, Leipzig / Halle , Munich, Nuremberg , Zurich )
• Austrian Airways ( Vienna)
• Axis Airways ( Nantes )
• ArkeFly ( Amsterdam )
• Binter Canarias ( Gran Canaria )
• Cimber Sterling ( Copenhagen )
• Condor Airways ( Düsseldorf , Frankfurt , Hamburg, Leipzig / Halle , Munich , Stuttgart )
• EasyJet ( Lisbon, London )
• Europe Airpost ( Paris- Charles de Gaulle )
• Iberia ( Bilbao , Valencia )
• First Alternative Airways (London – Gatwick , Manchester , Exeter )
• Flyglobespan ( Edinburgh )
• Hamburg Worldwide ( Paris- Charles de Gaulle )
• Hapagfly ( Düsseldorf , Hanover )
• Jet2 ( Manchester, Leads )
• LTU Worldwide ( Düsseldorf )
• Luxair (Luxembourg )
• Neos ( Milan – Malpensa )
• Santa Barbara Airways ( Caracas )
• SATA Air Açores ( Gran Canaria , Tenerife , Porto Santo )
• SATA Worldwide ( Copenhagen , Newcastle , Paris- Charles de Gaulle Airport , Ponta Delgada , Zurich )
• Scandinavian Airways ( Oslo Gardermoen )
• TAP Portugal ( Caracas , Lisbon, London – Heathrow , Porto)
• Thomson Airways ( Birmingham , Bristol , London – Gatwick , Manchester , Bournemouth )
• Thomas Cook dinner Airways (Brussels )
• Thomas Cook dinner Airways ( Glasgow, London Gatwick , Manchester )
• Thomas Cook dinner Airways Scandinavia ( Billund , Copenhagen , Helsinki )
• Thomsonfly (London – Gatwick , Manchester )
• Thomas Cook dinner Airways ( Birmingham , Bristol, East Midlands , Glasgow , London – Gatwick , London – Luton , Manchester )
• Transavia ( Amsterdam , Porto)
• Journey Service ( Prague )
• TUIfly ( Basel / Mulhouse , Cologne / Bonn , Frankfurt , Hannover , Stuttgart )
Madeira International Airport serves as a hub for both domestic and international flights, connecting Madeira to various destinations across Europe and beyond. Some of the popular routes that have historically been operated from Madeira International Airport include:
- Lisbon: Flights between Madeira and the capital city of Portugal, Lisbon, are frequent due to its importance as a major hub for both domestic and international connections.
- Porto: Madeira is also well-connected to Porto, another major city in Portugal. Flights between Madeira and Porto provide convenient travel options for passengers.
- London: Madeira is a popular destination for British tourists, and as a result, there are regular flights connecting the island to different airports in London, such as London Gatwick and London Stansted.
- Manchester: Another important city for tourism and travel, Manchester in the United Kingdom, also has flights to and from Madeira.
- Frankfurt: As a major hub in Europe, Frankfurt in Germany has direct flights connecting it to Madeira. These flights offer convenient connections to other parts of Europe and beyond.
- Amsterdam: The capital city of the Netherlands, Amsterdam, has flights connecting it to Madeira International Airport, providing access for travelers from the Netherlands and beyond.
- Paris: Flights between Madeira and Paris are available, allowing travelers to easily access the capital city of France and its connections to other destinations.
Please note that this list is not exhaustive, and the availability of routes can change over time as airlines adjust their schedules based on demand and other factors. It’s always best to check with the airlines or use online flight search engines to get the most up-to-date information on routes and schedules for Madeira International Airport.