Madeira, the picturesque Portuguese archipelago, is not only famous for its breathtaking landscapes but also for its rich culinary heritage. Among its many celebrated products, Brandy Madeira stands out as a symbol of tradition and quality. Engenhos do Norte, a historic distillery, plays a vital role in preserving this legacy. This post will explore the world of Brandy Madeira, focusing on the craftsmanship and heritage upheld by Engenhos do Norte.
The Essence of Brandy Madeira
Brandy Madeira is a distilled spirit made from sugarcane juice, known for its smooth texture and distinctive flavor. It’s a product of centuries-old traditions, reflecting the island’s agricultural history and cultural influences.
Engenhos do Norte: A Legacy of Craftsmanship
Located in the northern part of Madeira, Engenhos do Norte is one of the last remaining traditional distilleries on the island. Operating since the 19th century, it’s a living museum of Madeira’s distilling history.
- Traditional Methods: Engenhos do Norte is renowned for using time-honored methods. The distillery operates a steam-powered mill to crush sugarcane, and the fermentation and distillation processes follow traditional techniques.
- Quality Ingredients: The distillery sources fresh sugarcane from local farmers, ensuring the highest quality ingredients. This commitment to quality is evident in the final product.
- Community Engagement: Engenhos do Norte is more than a distillery; it’s a community hub. It supports local farmers and provides a gathering place for locals and tourists alike.
The Art of Enjoying Brandy Madeira
Brandy Madeira is enjoyed in various ways, from sipping it neat to using it in cocktails and culinary creations. Here’s how you can experience Brandy Madeira:
- Tasting Tours: Engenhos do Norte offers guided tours, allowing visitors to witness the traditional distillation process and enjoy a tasting session.
- Cocktail Creations: Brandy Madeira is a versatile spirit, perfect for crafting innovative cocktails. Many local bars offer unique concoctions featuring this traditional brandy.
- Culinary Pairings: Brandy Madeira can be paired with a variety of dishes, enhancing flavors and adding a touch of Madeiran tradition to the meal.
Brandy Madeira, with its rich flavor and storied history, is a testament to Madeira’s cultural heritage. Engenhos do Norte, as a guardian of traditional distilling methods, plays a crucial role in preserving this legacy. Whether you’re a connoisseur of fine spirits or a traveler seeking authentic experiences, a visit to Engenhos do Norte and a taste of Brandy Madeira is a journey into the heart of Madeiran tradition.
The Company Engenhos do Norte, located in Puerto de la Cruz , Machico parish was acquired by J.Faria.
This company is the oldest in Portugal in the manufacture of brandy done by cane sugar typical of Madeira . The curiosity is that this device works steam , giving other features into its products.
For this year’s production and according to information gathered from the company , the intention is to buy more cane sugar to increase the production of brandy : White , Larano and Aged 970 (reserve ).
The Company of North Mills employs the highlights of processing 16 people , whereas in the rest of the year , has five full-time staff in the plant that can and is visited throughout the year by local and foreign . Therefore, in order to allow the experience that the factory produces , has a store of evidence not only of the spirits but also other products J.Faria , namely liqueurs , the latter made another plant of the company J.Faria .
Besides the improvement in production , since it was purchased , the manufacturing unit is to be retrieved . In historical terms , we can say that the unit went into operation in 1927 and is a property of municipal interest .
The building has a rectangular plan and was built in basalt masonry with lime mortar .
The West found a large door , and on the north side , there is a chimney is 26 meters high, which has the traditional cylindrical shape , built in red brick .