This is an organization of the Mountain Club of Funchal .
Already confirmed are 749 athletes from 24 different nationalities .
More info: https://www.miutmadeira.com/en/
The Madeira Island Ultra Trail (MIUT) is more than just a race; it’s an extraordinary journey through some of the most stunning landscapes on Earth. This ultra trail event, held annually on the beautiful island of Madeira, Portugal, attracts trail runners from around the world. This post will delve into the MIUT, exploring its routes, challenges, community spirit, and why it’s a must-experience event for trail running enthusiasts.
The Essence of the Madeira Island Ultra Trail
- Diverse Routes: MIUT offers various distances, including 16km, 42km, 85km, and the grueling 115km race. Each route provides a unique challenge, traversing through mountains, forests, and coastal paths.
- Stunning Scenery: The trails take runners through Madeira’s breathtaking landscapes, from the lush Laurissilva forest to the rugged mountain peaks. The views are a reward in themselves.
- Challenging Terrain: MIUT is known for its challenging terrain, with steep ascents, technical descents, and ever-changing weather conditions. It’s a test of physical and mental endurance.
- Community and Camaraderie: The race fosters a sense of community and camaraderie among runners, volunteers, and spectators. The shared experience creates lasting bonds and memories.
The Routes of MIUT
- MIUT 115km: The flagship race, covering 115km with 7,200m of elevation gain. It takes runners across the island, from sea level to the highest peaks.
- Ultra 85km: A slightly shorter but still challenging route, offering 4,600m of elevation gain and traversing through some of Madeira’s most iconic landscapes.
- Marathon 42km: A marathon distance with a twist, featuring 1,950m of elevation gain and a route that showcases the island’s natural beauty.
- Mini 16km: Designed for those new to trail running or looking for a shorter challenge, this route offers 700m of elevation gain and a taste of Madeira’s trails.
Training and Preparation
Preparing for MIUT requires careful planning and training. Runners must consider:
- Physical Training: Building strength and endurance through long runs, hill training, and cross-training.
- Nutrition and Hydration: Planning nutrition and hydration strategies for race day.
- Gear Selection: Choosing the right gear, including shoes, clothing, and mandatory equipment.
- Mental Preparation: Developing mental resilience to tackle the race’s challenges.
The Madeira Island Ultra Trail is more than a race; it’s an adventure through one of the world’s most beautiful islands. With its diverse routes, stunning scenery, challenging terrain, and strong community spirit, MIUT offers an unparalleled trail running experience. Whether you’re an elite runner or a trail running enthusiast, MIUT invites you to challenge yourself, connect with fellow runners, and discover the magic of Madeira.
Madeira Island Ultra Trail
” Besides the excellent response of the domestic market , the MIUT still asserts itself increasingly in the international market of sports tourism, especially the Spanish, German, French and Swiss ,” said the organization in a statement .
This is an event trail running (race mountain ) , consisting of 4 separate tests , linear format and in non-stop regime , whose ‘ track ‘ election will be precisely the tracks , paths taken and that the island of Madeira Have . The departure of two major tests ( UT85 and UT115 ) , which make the crossing of the island will be given simultaneously at zero hour of the 12th, in Porto Moniz , while T42 and T20 evidence of Peak Megrim depart at 8am and Lamaceiros at 10am respectively . The goal for all of them , will be installed near the Machico Forum .
” The Queen of MIUT proof , with about 115 km and 6800 m of positive slope , will once again integrated into regional and national calendars ultra trail , also attributing to all who successfully complete the maximum score ( 4 points ) for access to the White Mountain, perhaps the most mythical race on the international calendar of trail running ” , continuing the organizers, who also report that ” along the route will be installed 12 checkpoints and supply and the time limit for implementation of the same is fixed in 32 hours . “